Explore Gualaceo and Chordeleg; two small towns where you'll find traditional handicrafts, fine gold and silver filgreed jewelry, woven baskets, woordwork, pottery, guitars and ikat textiles. Between them all you’ll find many traditional handicrafts: woven baskets, fine gold and silver filigreed jewelry, woodwork, pottery, guitars and ikat textiles – made using a pre-Columbian technique of weaving tie-dyed threads.- Lonely Planet
One day to discover the identity of these place throught their culture and skills.
- Gualaceo Indigenous Market
- Chordeleg Town
- We start our tour out of the northwestern side of the city of Cuenca with a visit to “San Bartolome” a little town next to the Andes mountain range, with an amazing view of the valley of River Santa Bárbara. This town is famous for its crafty artisans in making guitars.
- We will visit a traditional shop to observe the process of making this musical instrument.
- We continue to Chordeleg a town known around the country for its ceramic, gold and silver jewelry and above all for their fine filigree work made of gold and silver threads. Here we will be able to go shopping and the artisans will show us the way they elaborate the jewelry.
- There we can then take a walk around its central plaza where we will observe countless crafts and shops.
- Later, we will continue to Gualaceo to visit 2 important markets that are known for their variety of products and the colorful scenery. Visit of a textile shop where we’ll observe the back strap loom and the horizontal loom weaving and how a variety of products are made, they will also show us the Hispanic technique of “Ikat” to make shawls and ponchos.
- Then return to Cuenca.
- Tour 8 hours
- Bilingual tour guide
- Private transportation
- Pickup and drop off from particular meeting points
- Optional Gratuities
- Services not specified in the tour
- Prices are per person for shared services.
- Operates on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Pick-up time: 14h00 –14h30am
- Pick up from: Regular services (SIB) depart and return only from the following hotels: Carvallo, El Dorado, Macondo, Eagle House, Victoria, St. Lucia, Mansion Alcazar.
- Cancelation: In case of cancellation of 48 hours or less before the excursion, the service is not refundable.